Tuesday, April 17, 2012

NGMoney - from April 11, 2007


Well it had been a while since I had been to see my good friends at Methodist Hospital, so I decided to take a trip over to visit. Actually, the dietician and GI doc thought my weight gain, or lack there of, was concerning enough to send me here the day after we first saw them. We arrived Tuesday around 1:00 and I had my first ng-tube put in around 5:00. I say my first tube because I took a disliking to it and decided to rip it from my nose. Incidentally, if you don’t know what an ng-tube is, let me give you the 411. An ng-tube is a small tube that is snaked through my nose, down my throat, and into my belly. Once there they are able to feed me food directly to my tummy. This way they subvert the hunger strike I have been on and start putting some ozs on me. Back to last night...Once I took the first tube out the nurses tried each nostril to put a new one down, but they couldn’t do it. At about 1:00am they were finally able to slide a new one down my nose. Let me say at this point that it was not a good night. In fact, that might be a little bit of an understatement. It was a terrible night. Mommy says it was one of the worst nights of her life.
The good news is that when they weighed me this morning I had already gained half a pound. Too bad they can’t transplant some of Daddy’s extra lbs over to me. The not so good news is the doctor said I will probably have to have the tube in for three weeks while my tummy builds capacity. There are quite a few tummy issues I am dealing with, but doctors are still in a wait and see mode. The biopsies the gi doc took showed that I have an intolerance to lactose and sucrose. In other words, no milk or ice cream! But these intolerances could have been caused by a virus and just temporary. That is what we are praying for. These issues could be the reason that I have not been eating so much. Well, those and the fact that I am staging a hunger strike because I really think Sanjaya should be voted off the American Idol, but that is another post.
Anyway, we are just praying that the tube stays down so that I am able to grow my tummy and that I regain an appetite so I can take this blasted tube out.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment